Mighty Jack and the Goblin King by Ben Hatke
My tale begins in another time and another place, Ben Hatke was a young artist breaking into the comic scene with the publication of a charming graphic novel about a spacegirl named Zita. I was to meet Ben at a train station and escort him to an author event held at a public library.
I arrived at the designated station, searching for someone who looked like a cartoonist. As I scanned the arrivals, I could not see anyone who seemed to be seeking a librarian. The train had left the station and few travelers remained on the arrival side of the tracks.
Finally a young man came into view, nimbly working his way around the tracks, appearing to be on a grand adventure. I wondered: could this be the author/artist that I was to scheduled meet?
Bag slung over his should and flashing a winning smile, I soon learned that he was indeed Ben Hatke.
When we finally finished up at the library all agreed that this was one author visit that no one would ever forget.
If you have been following comic artist Ben Hatke you know that he has created an impressive body of graphic novels and picture books for young readers. His latest book, Mighty Jack and the Goblin King does not disappoint. This story continues the saga of Jack. As readers will remember, Jack's sister Maddy has been captured and taken to another realm. It is up to Jack and his friend Lilly to use the magic of plants, a healthy dose of courage, and their wits to locate Maddy and bring her safely home.
In true Hatke fashion there are some bizarre characters, high-powered action scenes with plenty of sword-play, and a take-no-prisoners heroine who will leave readers cheering. Careful observation will offer readers glimpses of familiar themes, tropes, and characters.
A hallmark of Hatke's books is his brilliant use of dialog. Each character has his/her/its own distinct speech pattern. The story begs to be read aloud with ample pauses to appreciate the many visual bons mots waiting to be discovered within the pages.
There will be no spoilers from me except this: I gave an audible gasp when I arrived at a certain juncture in the story. Then my eyes filled with tears. How I love his characters and their stories. I Just Love Them
Look what I found hiding within the stems of a large houseplant. Could it be magic?
What to do while you wait for the publication of Mighty Jack and the Goblin King
- Read Zita the Spacegirl, The Return of Zita the Spacegirl, and Legends of Zita the Spacegirl
- Read Julia's House for Lost Creatures
- Read Nobody Likes a Goblin
- Read Mighty Jack
- Read Little Robot
- Start digging. There may be gold and other treasure hidden nearby and now is the time to find it.
- Collect all the gold, doubloons, jewels, and whatever riches you find and take them all to your local bookstore.
- Order as many copies of Mighty Jack and the Goblin King as you can. (A gazillion will probably be the right amount.)
- Secure the everlasting gratitude of Ben Hatke fans by gifting them with a copy of his latest book.
- If you have any money remaining you should seriously consider purchasing a packet of magic seeds. Because you never know.....